Deadline for entries: March 29, 2019 (noon)
Stories of up to 2000 words will be accepted.
To submit your contact information, entry, and payment, please see the links below. The entry fee for the Adult category is $20. There is no fee for the Junior and Youth categories.
Over $2200 in cash and prizes will be awarded.
Adult: First prize: $700, Second: $400, Third: $300.
Youth: First prize: $250, Second: $150, Third: $100.
Junior: First prize: $75 Chapters gift certificate, Second: $50 gift certificate, Third: $25 gift certificate.
Winners and finalists also choose from a selection of books donated by the Vancouver Island Regional Library.
- Each entry in the Adult category must be accompanied by payment of the $20 entry fee. Your story will not be officially entered in the contest until the entry fee has been received. There is no fee for the Junior and Youth categories.
- Entries will not be returned.
- The Islands Short Fiction Contest is a regionally-focused competition intended to highlight the work of area writers. Submissions are accepted from residents of Vancouver Island and the northern and southern Gulf Islands only.
- Your name must not be on any part of the entry except the entry form.
- Multiple entries are permitted so long as each entry has its own entry form and entry fee payment.
- Entries must be previously unpublished and not currently under consideration in any other competition. Stories which have previously placed first, second, or third in the Islands Short Fiction Contest may not be entered again.
- STORIES MAY BE NO MORE THAN 2000 WORDS. Entries above the word limit will not be considered.
Entries may be submitted electronically or by mail. (Electronic submission is encouraged.)
- Entries for the Adult category may be submitted online, and payment made using PayPal, at the link below. Note: You do not need a PayPal account to pay via PayPal. You may use a credit card or Visa debit card, or a PayPal account if you have one.
- Entries for the Youth and Junior categories may be submitted online at the link below. Note: There is no entry fee for Youth and Junior entries.
- You may also print and fill out the entry form (PDF) and mail it with your story to: Nanaimo Arts Council, 78 Wharf St., Nanaimo, BC, V9R 2X3.
Submissions will not be accepted after the March 29, 2019 deadline. Be sure to mail your submissions well in advance of this date. Entries may also be dropped off at the same address by the deadline.
Winners will be announced at a reception and reading on Saturday, April 27, 2 pm at the 78 Wharf Street Gallery in Nanaimo. All entrants will receive an invitation by e-mail to attend; winners and finalists will be notified no later than one week in advance of the presentation. The results will be announced in a media release, as well as online on this website and in NAC’s weekly electronic newsletter and quarterly review. The first, second, and third place stories in each category will, with permission of the authors, be posted on this website.